Each of us has super powers: the Power of Compassion, the Power of Creativity, the Power of Patience – everyday virtues that often make the challenging doable. That’s what this collection of essays, written over the past decade, is about – the Powers that make our complex human lives possible.
Expected publication – December 2016
Makerspaces, sometimes also referred to as hackerspaces, hackspaces, and fablabs are creative, DIY spaces where people can gather to create, invent, and learn. In libraries they often have 3D printers, software, electronics, craft and hardware supplies and tools, and more. Makerspaces are becoming increasingly popular in both public and academic libraries as a new way to engage patrons and add value to traditional library services.
Highlights and best practices include:
- budgeting and business planning for a library makerspace,
- creating operational documents,
- tools and resources overviews,
- national and international case studies,
- becoming familiar with 3D printers through practical printing projects (seed bombs),
- how to get started with Arduino (illuminate your library with a LED ambient mood light),
- how to host a FIRST Robotics Team at the library,
- how to develop hands-on engagement for senior makers (Squishy Circuits), and
- how to host a Hackathon and build a coding community.